Homeschool Creations

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Our Current Read-Alouds ~ The Underland Chronicles

For the past few weeks the kids and I have been reading together a lot. A LOT. There have been some stretches where we will read a few hours. Or we’ll grab a short snippet of time here and there ~ where ever we can!

A series that has had us all captivated is The Underland Chronicles by Suzanne Collins {moms with older kids may recognize her name from the Hunger Games book}. We borrowed the first book from the library and after 1/3 of the book I went ahead and purchased all of the books to keep on our shelf {Amazon had a lovely 4-for-3 deal!}.

Gregor and the Prophecy of the Bane

Currently we’re reading Gregor and the Prophecy of the Bane. Two of the kids have been sneaking the book off to read ahead. We’re just about ready to wrap it up and I’ll be honest and tell you that even I am enjoying it. Even though there are rats and cockroaches and bats. Big, giant creatures that live under our world {shudder}.

A little over a week ago we lost power for the evening and we all snuggled up under blankets in the living room with a lantern and read together. That night {and the fun} is burned in my mind and just makes me smile when I remember the kids all laughing at what was happening in the story and their cries to start the next book immediately as we finished the story.

I love that the kids are so excited to be read to, want to race ahead to read the next book, and are SITTING STILL and really listening!! Typically, I have a hard time staying awake {even when I am the reader}, but this has infused some caffeine into me as well. I’m having fun using different voices for characters, helping the kids catch the subtle humor when a line is delivered correctly ~ so many little things! 

What have been some of your favorite books to read along as a family? We’re going to need more when we finish up these books! :)

 

 

Jolanthe Signature affiliate button

Visit these great companies!

 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home