Homeschool Creations

Friday, November 26, 2010

Preschool Corner ~ Learning in Spite of Me

There was a little bit of confusion this week in our house. We started out doing school and then stopped when I realized that this was a scheduled week off for us.

Then we started back up again when I found out that my hubby has all next week off {something that apparently missed my calendar}.

The kids were non-too-happy to get back to the grind and it all went a little out of whack on so many different aspects. Kaleb had a birthday and turned four ~ and has just been hilarious.

There are days when I wonder what in the world that boy is learning, if he is really learning anything at all, and how it’s getting in there if he is. Generally he is so oppositional {and go figure, he’s the laid back kiddo}, but he wants to do it on his terms, his way…or he just gets quiet and refuses.

He was sitting at the counter with a pen and paper the other day while I was cooking dinner. Keep in mind, the boy won’t write letters if I ask him too. He asked me how to spell ‘Back to Earth’…I have no idea why, but without really realizing what he was doing, I was telling him the letters. After a bit, he said, I can’t draw the ‘c’. I snapped out of what I was doing and came over to see what he was doing and wouldn’t you know, the boy had written B a    K     T O  E a R T H …and had done it all on his little lonesome.

Ummmm…where, oh where did THAT come from? Granted it wasn’t all done perfectly and I LOST the paper {can you believe it???}.

Later that day I let him play a game on my itouch called Feed the Monster where kids have to pick out the letters that are mentioned {match uppercase to lowercase letters, etc…}. That boy was matching letters I had no IDEA that he knew because he refuses to answer when I ask him to do it.

Just another one of those moments when you realize that things are sinking in and your child is learning and doing in spite of you and your well-laid plans. Gotta love it!

We did read books about Thanksgiving this week and made some lovely placements just for fun ~ but otherwise, a laid back week overall. Next week ~ we’re taking a break and spending some time with Daddy!

Thanksgiving Books We Love

 

Tools We Use

I’ve put together a list of our ‘preschool picks’ {sorted by category} that shows many of the tools, toys, and books we use during our preschool time ~ and some of our favorite things.

image

More Preschool Links:

Ready to Link Up?

Share what you are doing with your kids! Please link your exact blog post to the Mr. Linky below and link back here too! The updated guidelines can be found here if you need them.

Jolanthe Signature affiliate button

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • So, what day exactly is his birthday? Princess just had her birthday too.

    I am sometimes amazed at what sinks into their heads too. They just suddenly burst out with something. I think that's what's going to happen with all 3 of my kids suddenly reading with no clue otherwise.

    By Blogger Ticia, At November 26, 2010 at 11:44 AM  

  • Happy birthday to Kaleb!! What a fun age. :) They just can't keep from learning at this age... the only thing is it's only what they WANT to learn! It's so funny when they do something like this - it's such a surprise and can totally bowl you over. Don't you wonder where his mind was at too, with the whole "back to earth" thing? Sounds like he is pondering some pretty big things! Hope you have a wonderful family-time week next week!

    By Blogger Nicole {tired, need sleep}, At November 26, 2010 at 12:09 PM  

  • Kaleb sounds so much like my JC. She "teaches" more than listens to me. It has to be on her own terms. Sometimes I get frustrated when I try to teach which is few and far in between now. I'm always surprised by what she does on her own though. Happy birthday to Kaleb!

    By Blogger Joyful Learner, At November 26, 2010 at 1:41 PM  

  • Happy birthday to Kaleb! It's just so amazing what they pick up.

    By Blogger kewkew, At November 27, 2010 at 1:26 AM  

  • Happy birthday to Kaleb!! What a fun age. :) They just can't keep from learning at this age... the only thing is it's only what they WANT to learn! It's so funny when they do something like this - it's such a surprise and can totally bowl you over. Don't you wonder where his mind was at too, with the whole "back to earth" thing? Sounds like he is pondering some pretty big things! Hope you have a wonderful family-time week next week!

    By Anonymous Nicole {tired, need sleep}, At December 15, 2010 at 12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home