Homeschool Creations

Friday, September 17, 2010

Preschool Corner ~ Back in the Swing…mostly

We finally got some answers earlier this week to what has been going on with Kaleb {thank the LORD!} and I think I’m just as relieved to know that I haven’t been imagining it all. He is on another round of {yucky} antibiotics and already doing so much better! It’s amazing how much of a difference it has made in our day overall.

Here’s a little peek at how Kaleb’s workboxes shaped up for the week. Our focus this week was on the letters A-C. During the week I rotated between two different items in some of the boxes. The last 3 boxes were our ‘special’ boxes that he gets to do after he has finished the other boxes. Note: this workbox grid is a part of my preschool planning forms.

Workbox Planning Grid Image

Mama Jenn shared a GREAT idea for storing salt in a homemade salt box. We use our salt as a tactile way to draw/trace letters. Storing the salt is SO much easier this way {thanks, Jenn!!}.

Salt letter tracing

I mentioned last week that I was going to pull out some fun things that I had in hiding. I ordered the Grasshopper Preschool Prep Kit {ABC’s and Following Directions} and when I pulled it out Kaleb was very excited. :) I divided out a few of the activities into his workboxes.

The letter tracing gel set from the kit was one of his favorites {even the big kids liked playing with it. The magnetic ABC fishing game was another hit. I put out the letters A through E and he would tell me which letter he was fishing for and/or catching.

letter gel tracingABC fishing

Another big hit was the ‘build a letter’ cards that came in our Grasshopper Preschool Prep Kit. There are re-usable cling-on ‘stickers’ that you put over the letter patterns ~ a great fine motor activity. :)

 build a letterbuild a letter 

Kaleb wanted to do ‘handwriting’ like the big kids, so he practiced making vertical and horizontal lines in his Kumon Uppercase letter workbook. We also pulled out our tabletop easel and he practiced his lines on the dry erase board.

Kumon workbook

No week would be complete without some Do-A-Dot coloring! Since we focused on the letters A through C this week, I made some pages for him to color either with his Pip-Squeak markers {to practice coloring in the lines} or to use with the Do-A-Dot markers {I will hopefully be sharing the coloring pages soon!!!!}.

 do a dot coloring pages do a dot coloring pages

We’ve also had a LOT of fun playing with our Magnetos Jumbo Builder set this week! {hint: there is a giveaway coming up soon for these!!!}. The boys have had these out every day and have been building and creating like crazy. LOVE them!! In case you missed it, I’ll be hosting a Twitter party for Guidecraft on September 28th ~ and you won’t want to miss it. There are some amazing prizes in store!!

magnetos

iTouch Fun

When all was done for the day, Kaleb took much joy in curling up on the couch with my iTouch and playing a few fun games.

image

I Write Words ~ one of our ‘go to’ favorites. :) Kaleb loves to practice tracing his letters and numbers with this app. Pretty cute, too.

 

image

Word Wiggler ~ one of the apps in the Tickle Tap toddler app pack. Kaleb has to tap a picture that starts with the sound of the letter shown on the screen.

 

angry birds appAngry Birds ~ really no educational value. Just plain fun. There is a free version of this app, but everyone in the house loves it so much I actually bought the full version.

 

Things We Used This Week

Ready to Link Up?

Share what you are doing with your kids! Please link your exact blog post to the Mr. Linky below and link back here too! The updated guidelines can be found here if you need them.
 
Jolanthe Signature affiliate button

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

  • You have such cute toys! I cant wait till Christmas

    By Blogger Crisc, At September 17, 2010 at 5:46 AM  

  • Can't wait for your coloring pages for my three little ones!

    Hugs and love - so glad your little man is better!!!
    Jill

    By Blogger Unknown, At September 17, 2010 at 7:18 AM  

  • ooo so excited about the coloring pages! They are adorable!!! That grasshopper prep kit sounds like a lot of fun!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At September 17, 2010 at 8:41 AM  

  • I'm glad Kaleb is getting better. It looks like he's been doing some great activities!

    By Blogger Jenny, At September 17, 2010 at 10:25 AM  

  • I love those do a dot coloring pages!! Where did you find them? Or did you make them? So cute!!
    kirsti.clark {at} gmail.com

    By Blogger Kirsti, At September 17, 2010 at 11:51 AM  

  • I am glad that Kaleb is doing better now and you found "the root cause" of his unhappiness. I wish Anna could have "a role model" of an old sibling when it comes to writing :) And we also love iApps - Anna's recent favorite is FeedMe Monster by PencilBot - free and so much fun.

    By Blogger Natalie PlanetSmarty, At September 17, 2010 at 1:25 PM  

  • I'm glad your little one is feeling better! It looks like ya'll had a great week too. Those coloring pages look great!

    By Blogger Katie, At September 17, 2010 at 2:37 PM  

  • I love the salt box idea! Your son seems to really appreciate the hands on learning. thanks for the tip!

    By Anonymous Kimberly, At September 17, 2010 at 4:46 PM  

  • Those Magnetos look fun!

    By Blogger Mozer, At September 17, 2010 at 5:50 PM  

  • I am so glad that Kaleb is doing better and pray that he is totally on the mend from here on out!

    Those magnetos are so cool! They are very reasonably priced too. I think I am going to go ahead and order them from Amazon this weekend. I know they would be loved here.

    The Preschool Prep kit looks like a great thing in the future for my Jack too.

    Thanks for always sharing such great ideas and links Jolanthe. It is such a help to me in our homeschool and I truly appreciate the time you take to do it.

    By Blogger Susana, At September 18, 2010 at 12:37 AM  

  • These are such great ideas. I have been looking for a way to stay focused with my preschooler while I work with my older girls but workboxes for him never occurred to me! Thanks for sharing.

    By Blogger shauna, At September 20, 2010 at 10:12 AM  

  • I am so glad that Kaleb is doing better and pray that he is totally on the mend from here on out!

    Those magnetos are so cool! They are very reasonably priced too. I think I am going to go ahead and order them from Amazon this weekend. I know they would be loved here.

    The Preschool Prep kit looks like a great thing in the future for my Jack too.

    Thanks for always sharing such great ideas and links Jolanthe. It is such a help to me in our homeschool and I truly appreciate the time you take to do it.

    By Anonymous My Family My Forever, At December 15, 2010 at 12:56 PM  

  • You have such cute toys! I cant wait till Christmas

    By Anonymous crisc23, At December 15, 2010 at 12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home