Homeschool Creations

Thursday, August 20, 2009

You Asked! ::2::

I answered a few of your questions a few weeks ago and after that had another round of questions that were asked about various things. If your email address is linked to your comment, I do try to reply to you ~ but sometimes the questions are asked by several people so I'll occasionally answer questions in post form too so everyone can see the answers.

Today's questions are focusing on blogging tips ~ just a few though. Quite a few of you asked about making your own blog buttons and I'll have to go through that step-by-step another time {or point you in the direction of another great post about it!}.

Q: How do you change your blog layout or template without messing everything up? I hate using the standard blogger template but I am afraid to mess something up and lose all my work!

A: I have a 'test blog' - it's hidden so nobody can see the mess that it is. My test blog was created so I could freely play around with the html or template and not worry about wreaking blog havoc. On my test blog, I try out new buttons, headers, or layouts BEFORE I actually make the switch on either of my blogs ~ and it has saved me from a lot of trouble. :) Since you can create free blogs with Blogger - it wasn't a big deal to create it. Once I know it is safe, I can easily cut/paste the html and update my actual blog without worry.

And always be sure to back up your template before making any changes. Always. I have a Word document saved in my files with the current html for both of my blogs. Just in case. And we won't even talk about the fact that I messed up my blog because I didn't follow my own instructions once. Nope, we won't.

Q: How do I add those "you might like..." boxes?

A: This is so very easy. Visit the Link Within website and they will literally walk you through the process. You enter your email, blog address, and what blogging platform you use and click "get widget".



You can either use the code they provide and add your own widget following their directions, or you can let them do it for you. It's that easy!

Q: How did you get your blog to three columns?

A: Really, the answer isn't something you are going to like. How I did it ~ and how I'll recommend you do it are two completely different things. I have a bad habit of fiddling with my html. Very bad. Especially since I just play and learn and to stop and tell you what I did or how I did it....I'm not always entirely sure.

Here are a few places I would recommend that you check for free templates of 3 column blog templates:
There are a few places to get you going - but you will have to install the code yourself. :) Have fun looking!

Photobucket

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • Wow! Great tip about having a test blog! So simple, but I totally didn't think to to that.

    Your post was very helpful. Thanks for all you give to the blogging community!

    Cathy aka The Attached Mama

    By Blogger The Attached Mama, At August 20, 2009 at 9:01 AM  

  • what i like with your blog template:

    i like the header design. that white paper with lines and pictures. very appropriate with your blog name.

    i like it when i click a button, it will open to a new window. that way your blog is still open while i browse other site.

    i like the white background. easy to the eye

    i like your choice of fonts...they are nice. font colors and size are ok. easy to read.

    other blogs i tried to read gives me headache. they use wrong color combination, too colorful, too clutter, wrong font, format... i don't know, just not eye friendly.

    that's just my observation. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At August 20, 2009 at 9:21 AM  

  • Those are really helpful suggestions. Nothing like the voice and wisdom of experience! : )

    By Blogger Kathy, At August 20, 2009 at 9:46 AM  

  • I might add the link within - thanks for the instructions!

    By Blogger Michelle Gibson, At August 20, 2009 at 1:25 PM  

  • Jolanthe,

    Great and priceless tips you have offered here. My hubby just loves the idea of the test blog and now wouldn't you know it, he is off and running to experiment with his.

    Thanks again for your links for the three column ideas as well. I know at some point, I will change mine.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    By Blogger Heart2Heart, At August 20, 2009 at 2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home