Homeschool Creations

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Touring Germany: Week 2

I admit it. I 'cheated' a bit this week. I found a fun way to teach the kids about Germany this week, all under the guise of a game.

Highlights Magazine offers spy adventure kits that include a puzzle, a guidebook to the country, suspect cards, a case file, and a puzzle book. I picked up one called "The Bummer in Berlin" (completely unused) at a book sale the week we started our study of Germany. When I pulled it out and told the girls we were going to solve a mystery in Germany...well, let's just say they were excited!! So when I say I cheated ~ we just followed along, learning discreetly about Germany through reading/searching for clues, and I had very little work to do!

Each day we completed several pages in the puzzle book to find clues, eliminate villains and tried to discover where the stolen item might be hiding. We used our guidebook (basically a book about Germany) to learn things about Germany and answer questions to find clues. We also used website links to get a little better look at some of the things we were talking about.

{I included a link to the Highlights kits here ~ it's set up similar to a book club. First one is free and you pay for the rest of the kits as you receive them. You can view a sample here. I am in no way affiliated with them - just wanted to pass the info along in case you were interested}.

Monday
  • Put our puzzle of Germany together
  • Learned about the Brandenburg gate ~ a 200 year old monument in Berlin {several of the suspects were trying to mingle in the tourist crowd}
  • Took a 'walk' through the Tiergarten, the largest park in Berlin.
  • Talked about the wall between East/West Berlin
  • Learned about the cuckoo clocks and the famous Black Forest


Tuesday
  • Traveled to Stuttgart and visited the Mercedes Benz factory
  • Learned about the autobahn and lederhosen
  • Learned about the importance of the Rhine River
  • Looked at pictures of a palace Frederick the Great built - Sanssouci {means without worries}
Wednesday
  • Traveled down the Rhine River and learned more about some of the other rivers in Germany (put together a crossword puzzle with all of their names)
  • Looked at some of the different castles along the Rhine River
  • Listened to the German numbers and also German phrases
  • Talked about the war and Adolf Hitler
Thursday
  • Toured the Beethoven museum online
  • Learned about the Frisian islands off Germany's North coast (which I never realized were there....)
  • Solved our mystery ~ figured out what was stolen, where the thief hid it, and who did it!

Websites & Links we used:




Photobucket

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • The Highlights World Geography series has kits for 21 of the countries in Galloping the Globe - we have them all and they were well worth the price - I'm slowly acquiring the United States set now, so when we finish GTG and start CTC, I'll be ready for weeks like this! Christa

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At April 22, 2009 at 10:38 AM  

  • hi,
    I found al link on crafty crow to your blog....when I read this thread I got the feeling I know half of the things you learned this week... and I live in germany :)...

    greetings from nuremberg, the city of german lebkuchen, christmas market and nuremberger sausage ;)
    ilka

    By Blogger frl. wunderschoenbunt, At April 27, 2009 at 11:11 AM  

  • I noticed GTG on your sidebar, and had to read a little more of your blog. :-) We used GTG when my daughter was younger (I have an only child who is 8). It is my all-time FAVORITE curriculum!

    Anyway, as far as Highlights, we picked a bunch of the states (maybe 20???) up at Half Price Stores several years ago for $1 each. And, I just picked up 3 of the country packs (including Great Britain - where we'll be going this summer!) at a homeschool store in the used section for $2.50 each. These kits are wonderful!!!

    I love how you & your kids are learning together. :-)

    Dana

    By Blogger Dana Leeds, At May 3, 2009 at 10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home