Homeschool Creations

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Homeschool Memoirs: Playing Games


This weeks meme for the Homeschool Memoirs is "Let's Play a Game!" Our kids LOVE games (and so does their Mommy) so we try to incorporate games into our days whenever we can. Here are a few of the games that we play in our house:

Uno - Aside from the color matching and number identification, we've had fun this year trying to play in Spanish. The kids have to give the colors and numbers in Spanish, and they think they are ever-so-smart!

Chess - I will admit that I don't really have a CLUE how to play this game, but our girls have both learned to play in co-op and play during the week together during their quiet time.
20 Questions - Our kids love playing 20 Questions and we are going to be getting the little handheld version soon (I think it's hysterical!). With the handheld version, everyone agrees on an item and then the mini-computer asks you a series of 20 questions and will tell you what you are thinking of. It's a little scary at times how accurate it can be!

Hi Ho Cherry-O - This is more for Zachary, but he loves, loves, loves this game. Of course the miniature cherries are enough to throw me over the deep end at times. But I still play.

Wii - We have never had any video games in the house, but the Wii was a little different for us. We actually wanted it more for the Wii Fit. The kids have had so much fun with this and it is a great option when the weather outside is yucky. They aren't allowed on the Wii Board yet, but we will do the running course on the Fit, and for some reason they think this is too.much.fun. (and as an added bonus, Mommy gets in a little workout too!).

ABC Bingo - This is a little game that I picked up from Scholastic books for Zachary's birthday - and to better help him recognize his lowercase letters.

Listen and Learn - A binder full of different listening games (via a cd). And the kids play different types of bingos with it. Best part? Everyone wins. Every single time. (aka: no fighting).

Monopoly Jr. - It involves money and counting. The kids think they are rich, rich, rich.

Hulabaloo - Even though Laurianna is almost 8, we can involve everyone in this game. Everyone loves to run around like crazy and try to find the right mats. Great for shape and color identification.

Memory - Sadly, my kids can beat me at this. And that fact drives me crazy. Yet I continue to get sucked in.

Those are a few of the "regulars" in our house. I know that there are more, but I'm not so sure that the coffee has fully kicked in yet!

What are some of the favorite games that you all play at your house? Leave a comment and pass along some good ideas!!


Labels:

7 Comments:

  • We are geting a Wii this Christmas . . . maybe I can request the Wii Fit for my birthday too. Can you also let me know of some of the games that your children enjoy. Thanks for the help. Blessings~

    By Blogger Trina, At November 5, 2008 at 8:10 AM  

  • we are also game lovers. our favorites switch regularly, but here are a few. since you have young kids i will share what the younger kids like to play. Wacky six, speed scrabble, apples to apples. we also love tickets to ride and scum, but you might have to wait for your kids to get older.

    By Blogger Denice, At November 5, 2008 at 4:50 PM  

  • Hullabaloo is so fun! Thanks for the reminder; we'll have to get that out tomorrow.

    By Blogger Sarah at SmallWorld, At November 5, 2008 at 9:28 PM  

  • Great ideas for games. I have been seriously thinking of getting a Wii for our family present. :D

    Have a great day!
    Sherry

    By Blogger Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet, At November 6, 2008 at 11:52 AM  

  • I must be behind the times! We're not much of a video game family - I've never really been one to play them, even in my teenage years - although I've been known to play PacMan. But this Wii game sounds like it could actually be useful. I'm going to have to check this out! Thanks!

    Dana

    By Blogger Dana, At November 8, 2008 at 7:50 PM  

  • Wii Fit has been a wonderful addition to our house. Everyone here uses it. :) In fact, even bowling that came with the Wii helped me rediscover a few neglected muscles!LOL

    By Blogger tammy, At November 11, 2008 at 2:30 PM  

  • OH! How about "Herd Your Horses" for math, reading and reasoning, "Tangoes" for math & "Pizza Party" for fraction math? :)

    By Blogger JenPB, At November 12, 2008 at 10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! If you have a question and would like a reply, feel free to ask. I do my best to reply personally to you, but please be sure that there is an email linked to your comment or your profile! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home